The time now is Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:45 pm | Log in to check your private messages
View unanswered posts  Ghost forum archive
World of Ghosts - Paranormal Forums Forum IndexWorld of Ghosts - Paranormal Forums Forum Index
World of Ghosts Worldofghosts 24 hour chat room
                          Register


Llanelen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    World of Ghosts - Paranormal Forums Forum Index » Haunted places in the uk
View previous topic | View next topic  
Author Message
Solstice Moon



Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 272
Location: Horsham, W Sussex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Llanelen Reply with quote

You may not have heard of Llanelen, and that wouldn't be surprising as the town no longer exists. During the 17thC, however, this village sat on the Gower coast, near Swansea close to the current village of Llanrhidian.

Gower, and indeed most the South wales coast, is notorious for shipwrecks and storms. It was on one such storm that a ship, name long since forgotten, got into trouble off of Rhosilli. Attempting to find salvation the ship made it around the coast, but, the storm being particularly vehement, the vessel foundered, loosing her cargo and crew.

7 men, of the company, made it ashore, and were received at llanelen. The following day the village collected up the drowned sailors, and performed a mass burial. The survivors stayed on in the village to recover from what seemed to be a severe bout of influenza, bought about by the wrecking.

A week later, and there was another mass burial. this time it was the entire village of llanelen. It wasn't influenza, but the plague.

Now, all that remains of llanelen are two alledgedly cursed plaques, both in Llanrhidian church, and the occasional sighting of a white lady around the site of the village.

There's also a story about a farmer finding a stone from the village, and taking it back to his home. every night he was kept awake by the stone moving around his yard until he relented and returned it to its site.

_________________
"George,..... don't do that."

Joyce Grenfell
...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Back to top
bitterbuck1
Moderator


Joined: 18 Nov 2006
Posts: 3958
Location: Arizona, USA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How sad, a whole village taken by the plague.
Have you had a chance to visit this area?
The two "mass burials" are they by chanced marked?
And one more....
What do the two cursed plaques say?

_________________
Every year you live, you pass the anniversary of your death.

Where the Heart is
Billie Letts
...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Back to top
Baruc



Joined: 07 Dec 2008
Posts: 24
Location: East Anglia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two stone plaques are supposed to curse anyone who touches them, so presumably no one has ventured close enough to find out......

Kind Regards
Baruc.

_________________
Be nice, spread love, drink pop
...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Back to top
bitterbuck1
Moderator


Joined: 18 Nov 2006
Posts: 3958
Location: Arizona, USA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baruc wrote:
The two stone plaques are supposed to curse anyone who touches them, so presumably no one has ventured close enough to find out......

Kind Regards
Baruc.


Hi Baruc, long time no see!
Do you know by chance what the curse is?

_________________
Every year you live, you pass the anniversary of your death.

Where the Heart is
Billie Letts
...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Back to top
Baruc



Joined: 07 Dec 2008
Posts: 24
Location: East Anglia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bitterbuck,

Unfortunately not, I've had a trawl of the internet but all I can find is that people are 'cursed' should they touch the stones.

Mind you, guess that this covers all angles, from a runny nose to bad breath.

Kind Regards
Baruc.

_________________
Be nice, spread love, drink pop
...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Back to top
bitterbuck1
Moderator


Joined: 18 Nov 2006
Posts: 3958
Location: Arizona, USA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baruc wrote:
Hi Bitterbuck,

Unfortunately not, I've had a trawl of the internet but all I can find is that people are 'cursed' should they touch the stones.

Mind you, guess that this covers all angles, from a runny nose to bad breath.

Kind Regards
Baruc.


Laughing Laughing
Your right, 'cursed' could mean just about anything.

_________________
Every year you live, you pass the anniversary of your death.

Where the Heart is
Billie Letts
...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Back to top
cochyn



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 1
Location: Swansea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad
I find it very sad that there s not much on Llanellen, I walked the gower ths week and not even a monument s evident to remind the Cymrcs of this lost village!

_________________
RJackson
...
View user's profile Send private message
Back to top
YB
Moderator


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 2167
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums cochyn...
_________________
Is this haunting really necessary?
...
View user's profile Send private message
Back to top
bitterbuck1
Moderator


Joined: 18 Nov 2006
Posts: 3958
Location: Arizona, USA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the forum Cochyn!
Do you have any experiences you would like to share
with us?

_________________
Every year you live, you pass the anniversary of your death.

Where the Heart is
Billie Letts
...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Back to top
Apocolypito



Joined: 09 Aug 2010
Posts: 1
Location: Swansea, UK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ship was stranded in the Loughor Estuary. The "plaques" are stones from the church that was in the village and are now at Llanrhidian Church and read "1617" I believe and I have not heard of them being cursed, they are used as gateposts...
...
View user's profile Send private message
Back to top
swandonc



Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Llanelen Reply with quote

Solstice Moon wrote:
You may not have heard of Llanelen, and that wouldn't be surprising as the town no longer exists. During the 17thC, however, this village sat on the Gower coast, near Swansea close to the current village of Llanrhidian.

Gower, and indeed most the South wales coast, is notorious for shipwrecks and storms. It was on one such storm that a ship, name long since forgotten, got into trouble off of Rhosilli. Attempting to find salvation the ship made it around the coast, but, the storm being particularly vehement, the vessel foundered, loosing her cargo and crew.

7 men, of the company, made it ashore, and were received at llanelen. The following day the village collected up the drowned sailors, and performed a mass burial. The survivors stayed on in the village to recover from what seemed to be a severe bout of influenza, bought about by the wrecking.

A week later, and there was another mass burial. this time it was the entire village of llanelen. It wasn't influenza, but the plague.

Now, all that remains of llanelen are two alledgedly cursed plaques, both in Llanrhidian church, and the occasional sighting of a white lady around the site of the village.

There's also a story about a farmer finding a stone from the village, and taking it back to his home. every night he was kept awake by the stone moving around his yard until he relented and returned it to its site.


- My friend currently lives on Llanelen farm, (as it is today), and there is a strange air about the place, and the Grey Lady is said to walk the many fields of Llanelen, but she hasn't, as yet, been sighted. In fact, Welshmoor common seems much more eery than the the farmlands...
...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Back to top
bitterbuck1
Moderator


Joined: 18 Nov 2006
Posts: 3958
Location: Arizona, USA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Llanelen Reply with quote

swandonc wrote:


- My friend currently lives on Llanelen farm, (as it is today), and there is a strange air about the place, and the Grey Lady is said to walk the many fields of Llanelen, but she hasn't, as yet, been sighted. In fact, Welshmoor common seems much more eery than the the farmlands...


Welcome to the forum Swandonc!
What can you tell us about Welshmoor common?

_________________
Every year you live, you pass the anniversary of your death.

Where the Heart is
Billie Letts
...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Back to top
gowermark



Joined: 30 Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Location: gower

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
the site of the village can still be found
also the remains of the church
i live in the farmhouse of llanelen and know there are reports of a lot of paranormal activity associated with the house
regards mark
...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Back to top
flossy
Moderator


Joined: 17 Oct 2006
Posts: 4897
Location: UK tyne/wear (geordie land)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mark, welcome to the forum Wink
have you experienced anything paranormal whilst you've been living there ?
...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Back to top
gowermark



Joined: 30 Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Location: gower

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you a;ways get the feeling you are being watched. And things like doors opening on their own.

There are other things but to numerous to mention.

Regards Mark
...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Back to top
Post new topic   Reply to topic    World of Ghosts - Paranormal Forums Forum Index » Haunted places in the uk
Display posts from previous:   
 
 
All times are GMT
Jump to:  

Page 1 of 1


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum