The time now is Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:02 am | Log in to check your private messages
View unanswered posts  Ghost forum archive
World of Ghosts - Paranormal Forums Forum IndexWorld of Ghosts - Paranormal Forums Forum Index
World of Ghosts Worldofghosts 24 hour chat room
                          Register

sleep paralysis and the paranormal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    World of Ghosts - Paranormal Forums Forum Index » Dreams
View previous topic | View next topic  
Angelwings

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: sleep paralysis and the paranormal Reply with quote

bit of a touchy subject..but i think sleep paralysis could possibly cause some very different opinions.

WHAT IS SLEEP PARALYSIS
sleep paralysis is the apparant natural condition when each time you sleep your brain puts your body in a paralysis mode to stop you from acting out your dreams,but in some people they wake during the paralysis mode and suffer the following experiences..

SYMPTOMS OF SLEEP PARALYSIS
not being able to move or speak out
the feeling of an invisible force on your body
being aware of a evil entity in the room
sometimes pressure on the chest

what are peoples views on sp..?
do they suffer from it..?
and most importantly..do they think there is a connection to sp and the paranormal ??

MY ORIGINAL POST ON THIS
maybe i should mention why i think there could be a link with sp and the paranormal..

i started suffering from what i now is called sp 4 years ago..it started after moving in my new home.

it started during the night..when i would wake..i could think logically and my vision was perfect..but i could not move any part of my body and could never speak or cry out.

also when this happened..i had a very strange buzzy/staticy/electricity feeling that would run up and down my body very fast in a wave like fashion that would intensify as it went on..i would feel as though somebody was in the room although visually i could not see anyone..

these episodes as i say only started after moving into my new home..and had no paticular pattern as to when or where it could strike...it could happen through the night..or when just lying down when first getting into bed..at night or through the day....it could happen once a night or six times a night..i could have gaps of days or weeks in between each episode.

i have researched sp on the net and chatted to someone on a skeptical view on this...i dont seem to fit the criteria for having typical sp...most sp sufferes for some reason outgrow it by their 30's....mine started at the age of 26..
and it only started after moving into a home that i know know had polterguist activity...my home has been cleared of this malevolent spirit..and low and behold i havnt had a attack of sp for months..

another reason i think their could be a connection is some other sufferers of sp have phsycic tendancies too...

i definatly think its worth the title of "possibility"

having said that.....on a skeptical approach i have visited my gp on this matter..and he was quite suprised by my so called "symptoms"..they didnt seem to fit..and he was quite unsure about them..so as a precautuion has reffered me to a nurologist to be investigated for other possible caused (epilepsy etc)..but i will let you all know what the docs findings are..and if their is another valid reason i could have suffered from all this.

MY UPDATED POST ON THIS
something i did want to mention was the lack of understanding to sufferes of sp...and the total unenthusistic approach from the medical field..

i had to see a nurologist a cpl of weeks ago as my gp found me "interseting"..but thought i showed symptoms of epilepsy..i knew i wasnt suffering from any form of epilepsy as i was tested when i was younger...

im no medical expert..but i only thought there were two types of epilepsy..peti-mal (abstences)..and grande-mal (seizures)....my gp wouldnt take my word on it and ewanted me tested again..as he said there was a form of epilepsy that could affect a person only at night..

so low and behold..i dont have it...the nurologist didnt speak too much on sp when i asked him about it..he just said..well i think your right in saying your not epileptic and its prob just simple sp..

well i wasnt under the knowledge of sp being as simple as he put it...

so to add to my mind puzzling ideas on how,what,why sp occurs i have thought of a couple more things to put forward.

if sp is..the brains way of paralysing yr body to stop you acting out your dreams..but for some..they wake during this period..

then why isnt it classed as a nurology problem?

if it doesnt effect everybody,how come this doesnt show medics that theres maybe some sort of other problem/malfunction of the brain going on ?

WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS ON THIS ??

why wont medics look into it further,and take each person as an individual

if its classed as a normal occurance...why doesnt everyone suffer from it?

oh and this nurologist sent a copy of a letter to my address
originally for my gp..and added to the end i informed mrs...there was nothing paranormal about sleep paralysis..urmmm i dont recall this ever being said..and if he had i think im passed the point of being palmed off..and prob would of said i disagreed..

one more to add.....i ws told by somebody in the medical field..that what medics call the reason for sp..is because they cant put it down to anything else..its slightly unknown

so why cant other members of the national health system either admit the same or at least do more research into it.

maybe there frightned it will show no known cause..and ppl will connect it to the paranormal
YB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may have had this happen a few times.. like you want to wake up but you can't, or you think you have but you haven't. Very scary... and unnerving...
Angelwings

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure if that would be classed as Sp?,but im interested to hear more
flossy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive had dreams like that YB, mine was scary, i knew i was dreaming but i couldnt wake up, i was shaking my head and kicking my feet in bed and trying open my eyes but it took about 30 sec or so before i could, mind it felt like more than that
Firecracker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Angelwing (love the username Very Happy )

Have you ever looked into Astral Projection? I have managed to project twice and never experienced sleep paralysis, but it is a common thing to happen just prior to a projection or out of body experience.

Also, the buzzing that you mentioned is something that I myself get when I am almost out of body. A lot of people also report vibrations.

What do you think?
Angelwings

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi firecracker,i do know a bit about astral projection,and it is somethiong im looking into as a "possibility",as so many other pplhave mentioned too,im not sure my sp episodes were nec that,but i can totally refer to this with different experinces i have had..they are on other forums i have posted,so will go and find them so you can take a peek to see what you think.

one of the experiences was the feeling of "slight2 detatchment which was a wonderfull sensation,but one that freaked me out that much,im sure i fought against it,as i thought i cld be experiencing "physical death",lol..which of course if had of been the case i wouldnt have been able to do so.

the other was (actually twice),i have experiences a pop and squelch noise in my head so loud on one occasion i though i had experienced a anurism in my brain,the other time i had a similar more quite "pop" in my head but it was acompanied by the sensation of wetness down below,i also felt something exit that area...after coming to my senses about what i had felt and checking i wasnt soiled (pmsl) the only way i could describe what the feeling was like was....it felt like i had been shot through the head,but the bullet had passed through my body and exited my backside area..sound bizarre but thats the closest i cld describe it..

iv also had the memory of being in an "unknown" persons house,where i was floating at ceiling level through a beaded curtain on a doorway,i dont know how i can tell you this but i seemed to (know) i was there for a haunting situation. i moved through this beaded curtain,heard the sound it wld have made and felt it..then as i entered this other room,i was faced with "something evil" that moved forward very fast into my face...at this point my dream wether spiritual or not ended.i took this as maybe rescue work.

it maybe worth to mention here (to see what you make of it more than anything) that as a child who looking back was sensitive anyhow,i was rather odd,i loved bedtimes,and REALLY looked forward to it..why you may ask?..well..

each night as i lay there in bed i would be enveloped by a lovely sensation,in my minds eye,i would see a dark tunnel,and i wld state at this the end of this tunnel knowing wht to expect like every night before..i would see a very tiny person who im sure was me in the distance..then all this tunnel would swirl,and this sensation would intensify,the only way i can desribe this sensation and i do hope i dont get into trouble for saying this,is what i now know to be the sensation of a "orgasm" but instead of being "down there" it was in the middle of my forehead...as this intensified it seemed the end of the tunnel was getting further and further away,i hated this point as i knew it was going to end,which it llways did at a certain point......and this became why i loved going to bed..as i could practically guarnatee this same experience night after night,and i longed for the sensations again,even though i didnt understand what these were or why this happened,i looked forward to "the next time".

im pretty convinced for one reason the age i was,it wasnt anything sexual,and more so as the place of sensation was my forehead,but as an adult sensitive im aware that the forehead are is where we relate to "the third eye".could this have been something spiritual i now wonder??
bitterbuck1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experienced those same symptoms of "Sleep Paralysis".
Being wide awake and not being able to move a muscle or unable to speak.
The absence of control..it does give you a scare.
mrx3010

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Spontaneous Out of Body Experience to me however you cant rule out a neurological explanation either. You say there was no pattern, but out of curiosity did these events happen around July-August? or Nov-Dec-Jan?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    World of Ghosts - Paranormal Forums Forum Index » Dreams