The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:32 am | Log in to check your private messages
View unanswered posts  Ghost forum archive
World of Ghosts - Paranormal Forums Forum IndexWorld of Ghosts - Paranormal Forums Forum Index
World of Ghosts Worldofghosts 24 hour chat room
                          Register

Why don't ghosts fall through floors?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    World of Ghosts - Paranormal Forums Forum Index » Skeptics
View previous topic | View next topic  
D B Sweeney

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Why don't ghosts fall through floors? Reply with quote

We all know of cases where ghosts are seen to walk through walls, doors and other solid objects.

If they can easily pass through solid matter how do they manage to walk on solid floors and not simply fall through them and presumably continue to fall through the earths crust until they reach the core?.

The not so simple answer that I'll pre-empt - 'because they don't want to' begins to overly complicate the issue by putting in another level of speculation that raises further questions.

Isn't the simple answer that ghosts don't pass through floors simply because the ghost is not expected to pass through the floor?.

DB
thecactus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ghost could possibly be to an extent bound by the same rules and laws such as gravity as when it was alive (for this period however long it may be - I dont believe any ghost remains that way indefinately) - in some instances it is believed that the ghost is fully aware of its current surroundings including the people there, but in others the ghost only sees the area it is in, as it was when it was alive - hence walls that were not there when it was alive - it simply cant see them
D B Sweeney

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ghost could possibly be to an extent bound by the same rules and laws such as gravity as when it was alive

So how come they pass through walls but not floors?.

DB
thecactus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think about it db and see if you can come up with any possible explanations apart from 'because they dont exist mwahahaha Twisted Evil
D B Sweeney

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have your powers of logic Cactus Sad I have quite rational reasons for doubting the existence of ghosts and spirits. The fact that they don't fall through floors simply confirms them.

DB
Agentscott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the laws aof physics don't apply to the ghost realm as they do here.
Science can't understand something it knows nothing about so the next step is denyal. Problem solved!
D B Sweeney

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agentscott wrote:
Perhaps the laws aof physics don't apply to the ghost realm as they do here.
Science can't understand something it knows nothing about so the next step is denyal. Problem solved!

Logical fallacy there AgentScott Rolling Eyes

Science cannot explain everything and does not have all the answers.

This argument goes something like – as science cannot explain everything and does not have all the answers, it follows that:

science is limited; and
other answers from other knowledge systems could be true (i.e., belief-systems and pseudoscience).
Or to put it another way, science is limited and those very limitations stop it from answering specific questions concerning certain issues. This is then typically used to gain leverage for claiming a ‘truth’ via these other knowledge systems (typically ones that don’t employ the principles of science). Common examples would be debates on psychic abilities, the existence of an after-life and the existence of apparitions from areas like parapsychology and popular science.

There are a number of reasons for why this argument is a falsehood. Firstly, science never claims to have all the answers – just a reliable and useful method for revealing them. So attacking science for not having all the answers is something of a straw-man argument in the first place (blaming science for not being able to do something – it never claimed to be able to do in the first place!). Secondly, the argument is based in the assumption that the limitations of science actually have any implications for what is being proposed. Although science is indeed limited, it does not automatically follow that these limitations have any implications for the existence of certain phenomena (i.e., of paranormal phenomena). The problem here relates to the idea that the limitations of science have any bearing whatsoever on the failure to find any evidence for, say, paranormal phenomena. However, if Extra-Sensory Perception (ESP) exists, a relatively simple science of mathematical probabilities, chance expectancies and well controlled experiments would be able to demonstrate its existence. The same would hold for other claimed abilities (mind reading, psycho-kinesis, mediumship, dowsing, remote viewing, etc). Science has had techniques and methodologies at its disposal for many years that are more than suitable to test and refute (or establish) such claims.

A relatively basic and simple well-controlled science would be more than sufficient to establish the truth of these claims. Thirdly, the limitations of one knowledge system do not, by default, add credence or support to any alternative. That is, although science may well be limited, this does not mean that alternative knowledge systems have any additional merits by default. For instance, gaps in knowledge from Astronomical science do not mean we should abandon it for Astrology. For Astrology to be a viable alternative it would need to demonstrate its own credentials for knowledge and understanding, independently of the limitations of any other system. The fact that science does not have all the answers, does not mean that pseudoscience has any answers at all (or is indeed capable of ever producing any)! This is the crucial delusion underlying this argument. On this basis, the argument is meaningless.

DB
thecactus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1990s, a report in uk. ghost seen 'walking along passage' but only showing from knees.
later found plans that the floor was made higher to accommodate higher ceiling below in 1940 so the ghost was walking on nothing 'the floor removed'
D B Sweeney

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecactus wrote:
1990s, a report in uk. ghost seen 'walking along passage' but only showing from knees.
later found plans that the floor was made higher to accommodate higher ceiling below in 1940 so the ghost was walking on nothing 'the floor removed'

So how come the ghost was able to walk through the modern floor but not sink into the older floor that he/she/it appeared to be walking on...special shoes? Rolling Eyes

DB
thecactus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are acting a bit stupid now db - i cant spoon feed you - use your imagination
D B Sweeney

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecactus wrote:
you are acting a bit stupid now db - i cant spoon feed you - use your imagination

So basically you're unable to answer my question?. OK, I don't have a problem with that but you usually jump through a few hypothetical hoops or end things with 'possibly'.

NB: I'm not psychic but next post on this by Cactus may feature the word 'possibly' Wink

DB
thecactus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i guess you would prefer me to state these things as fact, but thankfully i dont say anything to please anyone - for me the only fact is that ghosts do exist

Quote:

So basically you're unable to answer my question?. OK, I don't have a problem with that but you usually jump through a few hypothetical hoops or end things with 'possibly'.

Everything has to be totally black and white for you db or else you cannot process it - all or nothing - no possibilities - no hypothesis' - when in the real world very few things are black and white

of course there are possibilities - totally stupid comment - if there wasnt these matters would all be fact and you wouldnt have put forward the question:

Why don't ghosts fall through floors?
thecactus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“A closed mind is like a closed book; just a block of wood”
Agentscott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got it... the ghost realm is sharing the same space as the Earth but in a differnt dimmention and some how when we see ghosts, it is these two realms overlaping.
D B Sweeney

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything has to be totally black and white for you db or else you cannot process it - all or nothing - no possibilities - no hypothesis'

Wrong there Cactus. I'm a sceptic and I simply need adequate evidence before I believe extraordinary claims. Everyones standards for what they're prepared to believe are different. I'm open to UFO's, Ghosts, Aliens etc and believe me I've studied them a lot and read hundreds of books and articles but 'stories' and YouTube videos aren't scientifically viable as evidence. If they are for you that's fine.

If you can't or won't answer the question I posed that's fine too - just don't respond with a comments that suggest I'm closed minded and not open to 'possibilities'. The 'evidence' you post would be laughed out of any third grade science class let alone a University physics group.

DB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    World of Ghosts - Paranormal Forums Forum Index » Skeptics