The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:56 am | Log in to check your private messages
View unanswered posts  Ghost forum archive
World of Ghosts - Paranormal Forums Forum IndexWorld of Ghosts - Paranormal Forums Forum Index
World of Ghosts Worldofghosts 24 hour chat room
                          Register

Paranormal Investigating Flawed IMO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    World of Ghosts - Paranormal Forums Forum Index » General chat
View previous topic | View next topic  
thecactus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Paranormal Investigating Flawed IMO Reply with quote

When you think about it, how often do paranormal investigators with £1000's worth of equipment actually experience anything worth talking about? How many paranormal investigating TV shows have there been, with how many 1000's of hours of footage in reportedly haunted locations? and yet they have still never found any proof. I believe this is because they are 'underestimating', for lack of a better word, the spirits causing the activity; they are expecting the spirits to appear on cue. This is not a natural process IMO.
D B Sweeney

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point well made Cactus I agree to an extent but it's because there are probably no such things as ghosts to find in the first place rather than any underestimating on the part of those that seek them.

DB
Sharla Tann

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Paranormal Investigating Flawed IMO Reply with quote

thecactus wrote:
I believe this is because they are 'underestimating', for lack of a better word, the spirits causing the activity; they are expecting the spirits to appear on cue. This is not a natural process IMO.

That is always a problem but then these people will always have limited time available, regardless of whether their equipment may be capable of detecting anything.
The only way to conduct a thorough investigation is to play the long game, by leaving cameras with motion-activated recorders running in the affected area for an extended period.
If reports of activity continue, either you'll catch it or you'll know that it can't be recorded.
thecactus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Paranormal Investigating Flawed IMO Reply with quote

Sharla Tann wrote:
That is always a problem but then these people will always have limited time available, regardless of whether their equipment may be capable of detecting anything.
The only way to conduct a thorough investigation is to play the long game, by leaving cameras with motion-activated recorders running in the affected area for an extended period.
If reports of activity continue, either you'll catch it or you'll know that it can't be recorded.

I agree, that is how it should be done, although also cameras running continuously without motion detection, in the off chance an actual apparition appears, that possibly wouldn't set it off.
Scary bloke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful observation indeed.
I leave cameras running at 3 hour sessions for up to two days on some occasions and then almost never get anything. The dictaphones can run on sound activation and we allow it all to run on livestream so people can watch the environment from home on there laptops.
There is a minute amount of activity which can be taken seriously to be honest and even that is doubt-able. But we plunge on.
The only stuff I really take seriously is the underground audio work I do, so as to debunk terrestrial pollution and even then I'm skeptical.
My events are a way to educate people in the basic methods of investigation, but my own research goes much deeper.
But yes, very little evidence and too many stupid TV programs making the subject look stupid.
thecactus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary bloke wrote:
Wonderful observation indeed.
I leave cameras running at 3 hour sessions for up to two days on some occasions and then almost never get anything.

I was thinking more like, leave cameras running continuously for 1 month+ for a chance to catch anything substantial. I think real paranormal activity is much rarer than most people involved in the field believe or claim. It seems the average person will have about 1 or 2 paranormal experiences in their entire lifetime, and many will have none... so if I was investigating a haunting, I would be in no hurry to get it finished, I would think patience is essential, and I would be thinking volume, the higher the volume of hours recording the higher the chance of aquiring some real evidence, also I would be thinking quality over quantity everytime.
Scary bloke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats all well and good, but could get a bit hard watching and analyzing data from a month from various forms of media capture.
We watch thousands of hours of media. But I do actually agree.
Though the actual mechanics of such an investigation would be nightmarish.
I have been observing Roche Abbey for 18 years 4 times each month.
I have only 4 pieces of evidence which even imply paranormal reasoning.
Sometimes the best evidence is by chance, been in the right place at the right time. But in an ideal world, your idea would probably work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    World of Ghosts - Paranormal Forums Forum Index » General chat