The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:17 am | Log in to check your private messages
View unanswered posts  Ghost forum archive
World of Ghosts - Paranormal Forums Forum IndexWorld of Ghosts - Paranormal Forums Forum Index
World of Ghosts Worldofghosts 24 hour chat room
                          Register

Mediums
Post new topic   Reply to topic    World of Ghosts - Paranormal Forums Forum Index » General chat
View previous topic | View next topic  
neil45

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Mediums Reply with quote

I have been to a few now, had mixed reactions.
The first one I went to, was just after my dad died. The things she told me, were spot on, and she did not have a clue who I was, as I purposely got one away from my home.

The second, said nothing, seemed to come up with a lot of dud info.

The third, was only 2 weeks ago. I went as I lost my mum in November. My personal experience to start with, was rubbish to be honest, I did not get much info from her, yet my missus was also there and she had a reading, and hers were absolute spot on.
Just before leaving I mentioned I was not too thrilled with the info I received, and next minute the medium asked me do I remember the round mirror with roses on it which hung by a chain.
At the time I couldn't but later talking to my sis, she mentioned it, and I twigged.
When I was young, we had a black round mirror which hung by a little chain, and round it were gold coloured leaves, with a rose head at the foot of the mirror. The medium had said she mentioned this so I knew my mum was there, but she did not say too much, and mentioning the mirror was her way of letting me know she is there.

Has anyone else had a visit to a medium and how did you get on. Do you believe?
flossy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw a medium a couple of year ago, he did get a few things right but not as much as he should of
think about it if they are giving us messages from our relatives then everything they tell us should be spot on
there are a few out there who do get everything right but they are very rare
forests

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im glad you started this thread, I was thinking of creating one called mediumship VS ghosts.

I believe that the entire basis of mediumship is fraud, and it contradicts ghosts. There is no such thing as "mediumship ability". All mediums are after is money, that is why they charge large fees. If ghosts exist anyone should be able to see them. The mediumship thing is a scam.

What is reported in the seance room also contradicts sightings of ghosts. All ectoplasm has been discovered to be fraud such as cheesecloth etc and it looks nothing like what ghost hunters have reported.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ectoplasm_(paranormal)#Fraud[/url]
neil45

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forests wrote:
Im glad you started this thread, I was thinking of creating one called mediumship VS ghosts.

I believe that the entire basis of mediumship is fraud, and it contradicts ghosts. There is no such thing as "mediumship ability". All mediums are after is money, that is why they charge large fees. If ghosts exist anyone should be able to see them. The mediumship thing is a scam.

What is reported in the seance room also contradicts sightings of ghosts. All ectoplasm has been discovered to be fraud such as cheesecloth etc and it looks nothing like what ghost hunters have reported.

I am not talking about mediums as in seances, just ones like do one to one readings.
I wont ever think it is a scam, because we cannot prove they do or dont talk to spirits, but I do believe there are ones who prey on vulnerable people, come out with basic stuff, that they will hit the nail on the head at least 50 percent of the time.

If you go to one for instance is fake, they will come out with common names, and manipulate words to mean a few things. One I went to just after my dad passing, was spot on with a lot of stuff, private stuff no one knew about, and not easy to guess.

For instance, my dad did some DIY for a handicapped kids Youth Club my sis and brother inlaw run, while up a ladder, the person holding it moved away and the ladder slipped down the wall, and my dad smashed his left elbow into the floor. He had to have it pinned in almost every joint, and hurt from then on till his death a year later.
During the sitting, the medium said his arm was better and he would never have sued the club.
Now he had the chance to sue, but would not because it would have closed that club down.

That is one example of a lot of things she got right. It is unfair to call them ALL fakes IMO.
forests

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil45 wrote:
forests wrote:

I am not talking about mediums as in seances, just ones like do one to one readings.
I wont ever think it is a scam, because we cannot prove they do or dont talk to spirits, but I do believe there are ones who prey on vulnerable people, come out with basic stuff, that they will hit the nail on the head at least 50 percent of the time.

If you go to one for instance is fake, they will come out with common names, and manipulate words to mean a few things. One I went to just after my dad passing, was spot on with a lot of stuff, private stuff no one knew about, and not easy to guess.

For instance, my dad did some DIY for a handicapped kids Youth Club my sis and brother inlaw run, while up a ladder, the person holding it moved away and the ladder slipped down the wall, and my dad smashed his left elbow into the floor. He had to have it pinned in almost every joint, and hurt from then on till his death a year later.
During the sitting, the medium said his arm was better and he would never have sued the club.
Now he had the chance to sue, but would not because it would have closed that club down.

That is one example of a lot of things she got right. It is unfair to call them ALL fakes IMO.

Fraud mediums have ways of cheating to gather information about their sitters, its called hot reading. They dig up files/reports or scan internet or newspapers for information about their sitters or listen into private conversations that their sitters may be in. They can also gather information by things you may have said or given away, or use clever guess work etc.

Think about it, if these spirits exist then anyone should be able to communicate/see them, why would a few "select" mediums only have the ability to see them? And why do mediums charge money for their readings? Its all bogus. And as Tony Cornell wrote, even if mediumship was genuine how would you know the information was not coming from ESP/telepathy etc? There is no evidence for spirits communication in mediumship. We don't even need to invoke ESP in mediumship becuase the whole thing is fraud but you see my point.
flossy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you got your point out loud and clear forests Smile
neil45

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forests
I agree with you on the ability issue. I also cannot understand why everyone cannot communicate with the dead and only select people called "mediums" can. Depending on who you listen to and when, apparently we all have the capability, but very few unlock it, how that is I do not know.

The part you mention about charging for sittings, well, it is like anything else in life, which is you get nothing for free.
I mean, have you ever bought something, just to sell it for a profit? I have, plenty of times, and the reason is, if we can make money then we will, so I don't blame honest mediums one bit for charging. In their position, I would. The first one I saw, actually gave up a full time job as she was making more doing it, and in return, got to spend all her time with her family.
As for the way mediums would gather information about a sitter, well the way you have stated that, in my instance could not be more wrong.
I am not saying some mediums dont do it, but I am not exactly David Beckham status, where plenty of personal details can be found just about everywhere.
I went to a medium, organised by a phone call, and all she knew me as is Neil. Try googling that, you will get no information about me whatsoever. We all choose to believe whatever we want, and I know for a fact, what a couple of mediums have said to me, was absolutely spot on, no wrong information whatsoever. I am also satisfied, that on both occasions, neither has had any prior knowledge of me, and it would be impossible for them to have got such.

I would like you to explain one of your comments though please as I find this interesting.
You mention Telepathy/ESP. If you are dimissing mediumship because you feel everyone should be able to have the ability, then why do you believe Tony Cornell and his ESP/Telepathy theory? surely, we should all have that ability if it exists also would you not say? Apologies if I have read the last part wrong regarding ESP etc.
D B Sweeney

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely with Forests Very Happy FWIW.

DB
neil45

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D B Sweeney wrote:

DB
So what is your thoughts on Telepathy and ESP? Are you saying that Telepathy exists and if so, why can we not all use telepathy and not just Bogus Mediums? If you do not agree it exists, then you cannot completely agree with forests can you?
carlos2010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could a medium possibly know about a mirror with roses that hung by a chain?

Pretty sure that information wouldnt come up in a google search.

As for why do some people have the ability and some dont is like why do some people have double jointed thumbs and some dont. I could go on with comparisons.

Im still on the fence about mediums.
thecactus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlos2010 wrote:
How could a medium possibly know about a mirror with roses that hung by a chain?

Pretty sure that information wouldnt come up in a google search.

As for why do some people have the ability and some dont is like why do some people have double jointed thumbs and some dont. I could go on with comparisons.

Im still on the fence about mediums.

How can you believe mediums may be genuine when you don't believe in an afterlife?
forests

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil45 wrote:
D B Sweeney wrote:

DB
So what is your thoughts on Telepathy and ESP? Are you saying that Telepathy exists and if so, why can we not all use telepathy and not just Bogus Mediums? If you do not agree it exists, then you cannot completely agree with forests can you?

Tony Cornell was a skeptic who wrote most mediumship was fraud, but he was also open minded on the possibility of telepathy. The reason I quoted this guy is becuase he spent over 50 years attending seances, he was not an arm chair skeptic. He spent most of his life researching the paranormal, not many people have done that.

I am not saying I advocate telepathy in mediumship, from what I have studied the entire basis of mediumship is conscious or unconscious fraud.

As I said I don't think we need to invoke the telepathy hypothesis, the only reason I mentioned telepathy is becuase lets just pretend for a second that information has been gathered from the medium which was convincing and not the result of fraud then how would we know if it was from spirits and not from telepathy? There is no way of knowing.

As far as I know the only medium who is usually claimed to have used telepathy is Leonora Piper, but you look into her mediumship and there is evidence she was a cold reader.

I am not saying the spirit hypothesis of mediumship or the telepathy hypothesis is impossible, I am just saying there is no evidence for these views in mediumship.

Also as I already said the whole mediumship contradicts ghosts. I have seen mediums who are highly critical of ghosts and vise versa I have seen ghost hunters highly critical of mediums. Both are incompatible.

If ghosts exist anyone should be able to see them, and the idea with modern mediumship like on those shows where a single medium out of 600 or so people claims to be the only one to "mentally" be in contact with a spirit is absolutely stupid and only gullible people will believe in this nonsense.
carlos2010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecactus wrote:
How can you believe mediums may be genuine when you don't believe in an afterlife?

I do believe there is an after life, I just dont believe that people can go out and do so called ghost hunts and claim there is ghosts with out reasonable proof.

Half of the claims of ghosts are faked, the other 49% can be contributed to something else, the other 1% is questionable.
thecactus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlos2010 wrote:
I do believe there is an after life, I just dont believe that people can go out and do so called ghost hunts and claim there is ghosts with out reasonable proof.

Half of the claims of ghosts are faked, the other 49% can be contributed to something else, the other 1% is questionable.

Ah, I also think ghost-hunting is a waste of time. Tbh on the internet the majority of ghost claims probably are fake, but at the same time I believe the majority claims on shows like Celebrity Ghost Stories and Paranormal Witness are genuine.
thecactus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forests wrote:
If ghosts exist anyone should be able to see them, and the idea with modern mediumship like on those shows where a single medium out of 600 or so people claims to be the only one to "mentally" be in contact with a spirit is absolutely stupid and only gullible people will believe in this nonsense.

Is it not possible that some people really are sensitives, and are naturally more sensitive to the spirit world than the average person? I believe that is the case in general, not referring to mediumship but just generally sensing a spirits presence; you see it all the time on shows retelling a ghost encounter, for example: a couple are sleeping in bed, one wakes up and claims to sense a presence in the room, while the other remains oblivious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    World of Ghosts - Paranormal Forums Forum Index » General chat